Last updated 29Oct23

Rowleys Orroral Hut site

Rowleys Orroral Hut site is located in the Orroral Valley at the junction of the Australian Alps Walking Track and the Orroral Valley footpad in the Namadgi National Park.

Location: GR 55H FA 75500-57387 (MGA94), Corin Dam 8626-1N 1:25000


Rowleys Orroral Hut site, December 2011

Visits: 29 Oct 23, 19 Aug 23, 28 Jun 23, 17 Jun 2315 Jun 19, 6 Nov 16, 30 Jul 16, 8 May 12, 14 Dec 11, 1-4 Oct 10, 15 Sep 09, 23 Jun 09, 27 May 08, 10 Apr 07, 7 Apr 07

Photographs are available.

Documentation:

• KHA Namadgi database (private source). Site 222. Stan Cregan constructed this hut in about 1948 for Hugh Gregory.  Hut burned down in 1994 when log rolled out of fireplace onto wood floor.

• Namadgi Historical Summaries 1991 KHA: Rowleys Hut – There are two huts with the same name, one in Orroral Valley and the other in Rendezvous Creek. Orroral Valley (UTM 55H 675478-6057375): This hut at the northern end of Orroral was built by Stan Cregan in less than two days. Like Rowleys Rendezvous Creek Hut the fire place is located on the long wall, rather than the end wall. It was built for Hugh Gregory in 1948 after he acquired the land the previous year. Rendezvous Creek (UTM 55H 677589-6045900): In 1948 Noel (Rowley) and Alan Gregory bought land in Rendezvous and Middle Creeks. It was here that Stan Cregan, assisted by Rowley, built the hut around 1948-50, but after Cregan had built Rowleys Orroral Hut. In the 1960’s plywood from the Orroral Tracking Station was used to line the hut. In 1973 Rowley extended the hut with the assistance of Fred Blundell.

Gudgenby: A register of archaeological sites in the proposed Gudgenby National Park, J H Winston-Gregson MA thesis, ANU, 1978. Site OR11. Constructed in 1949 as an overnight shelter. Source: A Gregory 16 October 1977. Was noted for having chimney on long side of building. See extracts of the relevant pages in the photos above.

Sites of Significance in the ACT. A 9 volume set, pre-cursor to the ACT Heritage Register. Published in 1988 (Vols 1-7), 1989 (Vol 8) and 1990 (Vol 9); pp38-43. Site G4. This is [was] a small timber-framed weatherboard clad hut with a corrugated iron roof. It was built in 1948 by the Gregory family who had recently acquired the Orroral property. Internal lining includes plywood packing cases with markings indicating their salvage from the Orroral Tracking Station. See extracts of the relevant pages in the photos above.