Last updated 12Aug23
Gudgenby Homestead is located 1km downstream of the confluence of Middle and Bogong Creeks which form the Gudgenby River in the Namadgi National Park.
Location: GR 55H FA 79517-42759 (MGA94), Rendezvous Creek 8626-1S 1:25000
• KHA web site: Located in the Namadgi National Park, about 1km from the Canberra to Adaminaby Road, connected by its own access, near the bridge and intersection with the old Boboyan Rd. Grid Reference 794426 on the Rendezvous Ck 1:25,000 map. Gudgenby is the second major homestead in this area, and is a substantial two story building, in excellent condition. It was built by Bill Bootes in 1964 for grazing. The Bootes were absentee landowners, and stayed in the cottage until this house was built. The lease expired in 1989, when it was resumed by the National Park. This is the second building on the site, replacing the original slab homestead, built here in the 1840’s. The Henshaw family has had a long term sub-lease on the property since 1971, but not occupied the building over the last few years. Currently it is used by NNP Rangers and reasearchers on particular projects. The house is not open to the public. Large, two story brick, stone and tile. Includes a number of sheds. Is located about 300m from Gudgenby Cottage.
• KHA Namadgi database (private source). Site 244. The original Gudgenby Homestead was erected in about 1845 and was slowly extended up until around the 1920s. In about 1964 the Homestead was demolished (many of the materials were saved) and a new double story brick house with tiled roof took its place.
• Gudgenby: A register of archaeological sites in the proposed Gudgenby National Park, J H Winston-Gregson MA thesis, ANU, 1978. Site G1 1-3. Brick veneer, tile roof, one external brick chimney and one internal chimney. Coolroom is corrugated metal on sawn timber frame with concrete floor. Constructed in 1964 on the site of original McKeahnie home. Timber from old homestead (valued at £200 in 1885) now in Cooma museum and chimney stones are in garden wall. The only two story house in the park. See extracts of the relevant pages in the photos above.
• Sites of Significance in the ACT. A 9 volume set, pre-cursor to the ACT Heritage Register. Published in 1988 (Vols 1-7), 1989 (Vol 8) and 1990 (Vol 9); pp38-43. Site G19. See extracts of the relevant pages in the photos above.