Last updated 12Aug23
Frank and Jacks Hut
Frank and Jacks Hut is located approximately 2.5km south-west of the Yankee Hat car park in the Namadgi National Park.
Location: GR 55H FA 77060-39215 (MGA94), Yaouk 8626-2N 1:25000
• KHA web site: Franks Hut is a small weatherboard cottage located beside the old pine forest (much of it now removed) between the Yankee Hat carpark and Mt Gudgenby and at grid reference 769390. Also known as Franks Hut, or Franks in the Pines. The name “Frank and Jacks” is a 2000’s change, mainly to placate family members. It has never been really known as Frank and Jacks, but was known as Franks Hut for decades. Franks Hut was built in 1954 by Cecil Hopkins of Queanbeyan for Frank and Jack Oldfield. The land was originally purchased by the Oldfields from the Bootes of Gudgenby in 1948. This hut replaced the old Sinclair hut. The hut appears to be substantial, but has never been used as a permanent residence. Used to support grazing of sheep, mainly breeding ewes. It was resumed in the late 1950’s to allow ACT Forests to develop the pine plantations. It is now a great take off point to climb Mt Gudgenby. A three roomed hut, with weather boards and timber floors, plus an iron roof and brick fireplace. It is very popular with walking and school groups. It also makes a great place to ride a bicycle too, following easy firetrails. Popular campfires outside have now been banned by the National Parks, as there is not a secure fireplace, nor good supply of wood.
• KHA Namadgi database (private source). Site 248. This weatherboard hut was built during 1954-55. It contains a brick chimney, three rooms, water tank and a sheep dip was built near the hut, which was fed from a dam in a small creek nearby. Another hut owned by the Sinclairs stood nearby. Stones in fr …
• Gudgenby: A register of archaeological sites in the proposed Gudgenby National Park, J H Winston-Gregson MA thesis, ANU, 1978. Site GR3 1-3. See extracts of the relevant pages in the photos above.
• Sites of Significance in the ACT. A 9 volume set, pre-cursor to the ACT Heritage Register. Published in 1988 (Vols 1-7), 1989 (Vol 8) and 1990 (Vol 9); pp38-43. Site G20. See extracts of the relevant pages in the photos above.
• ACT Heritage Listing: Stockmen’s Huts in Namadgi National Park H58b