Last updated 23Sep23
Cotter Hut is a Ranger facility (locked to public use) under the north-east flank of Bimberi Peak and beside the Cotter River in the Namadgi National Park.
Location: GR 55H FA 65772-53234 (MGA94), Rendezvous Creek 8626-1S 1:25000
• KHA web site: Cotter House is in the Cotter River Catchment and may be approached from the Dam site or over the fire trail from Orroral Valley. Either way, it is a walk of about 6 km. Grid Reference 656531 on the Rendezvous Creek 1:25,000 map. Also known as Cotter Hut or Cotter Rangers Station. An original slab hut was located here, having been first built in 1890 at 657533. It was moved here in the 1930’s. The new hut was built after the slab hut was torn down in 1960. The new hut was built for the Cotter Catchment rangers by Don Greenwood, so that they could patrol the very sensitive and important rain catchment area for Canberra. It is generally, but not always, used by rangers. Generally it is not available to visitors, and therefore is often locked.
• KHA Namadgi database (private source). Site 233. A hut was built on this site in the late 1930s using materials from the earlier hut (see Site 377). In 1964 this hut was demolished and replaced with the current fibro-clad ranger’s residence. Associated structures on the site include 2 rainwater tanks, …