Last updated 10Jun19
Brandy Flat Hut
Brandy Flat Hut is a modern structure located near the junction of the Brandy Flat and Gudgenby Creek Fire Trails in the Namadgi National Park.
Location: GR 55H FA 82729-45767 (MGA94), Michelago 8726-4S 1:25000
• KHA web site: There have been at least three huts at or near to this site. A survey undertaken for Tom and Barbara (nee McMillan) Gregory in 1892, showed a small hut on the site, later referred to as a “humpy”. The property passed through various leasees before being acquired by Foster and Frank Smith of Williamsdale. Foster passed Brandy Flat to his son Kevin who had had the small hut replaced by a slab building with an iron roof and dirt floor around the turn of the century. Brandy Flat stayed with the Smith family until the early 1960’s, so the old hut had collapsed by about 1978. This third hut was built by the ACT National Parks and Wildlife Service, in 1978, as a welcome shelter for bushwalkers and stands less than 100m from the previous hut. Careful searching will reveal chimney stones of the previous hut.
• KHA Namadgi database (private source). Site 876. Weatherboard hut built in 1980 by ACTPCS as a recreational resource for bushwalkers. The only such purpose-built hut in Namadgi. It was originally intended for Booroomba Rocks but was diverted due to protests from climbers.
•Information in Brandy Flat Hut log book: See photo above.