Last updated: 17Sep23
Boboyan Homestead sites
Boboyan Homestead and associated sites are located beside the Old Boboyan Road South in the Naas Creek valley in the Namadgi National Park.
Homestead – GR 55H FA 78633-31250 (MGA94), Yaouk 8626-2N 1:25000
Old Homestead site – nearby
Dam – GR 78542-31248
Spring – 78531-31265
Fencing – 78524-31299
Orchard – 78580-31314
Graves – 78515-31384
Cultivation paddock – 78651-31330
Stockyards – 78648-31297.
• KHA Namadgi database (private source). Sites 258, 310, 195
• Steve Brayshaw’s paper: “Located at grid reference: 678648 East, 6031255 North. Richard was the last of the immediate Brayshaw family to live in the homestead. Richard left Bobeyan in 1952. He died on the 11 Jan 1954, eight son thirteenth child. William & Flora raised 14 children in this homestead and the old one. Sarah their 10th child died (from diphtheria) on the 11th Jun 1865 and is buried over the hill just up from the orchard. She was only 8 years old. The original home was built sometime between 1839 and 1844, the new was built sometime before 1866.”
• Gudgenby: A register of archaeological sites in the proposed Gudgenby National Park, J H Winston-Gregson MA thesis, ANU, 1978. Sites B2, 1-12. See extracts of the relevant pages in the photos above.
• Sites of Significance in the ACT. A 9 volume set, pre-cursor to the ACT Heritage Register. Published in 1988 (Vols 1-7), 1989 (Vol 8) and 1990 (Vol 9); pp38-43. Site G37. See extracts of the relevant pages in the photos above.
• KHA web site: This was the second building on the site, but was demolished by the Parks service in 1971, as it was considered to be unsafe. Today, it would be fully restored. The first building was owned by James Ritchie and John Gray, when they held the leases from the late 1830s. John Gray sold the holding to his manager, Charles McKeahnie in 1844 after Gray went bankrupt. McKeahnie soon sold his share (the other being to Alexander Crawford) to William Brayshaw soon after Brayshaw’s marriage to Crawford’s daughter, Flora. So, the Crawfords and Braywshaws jointly ran the Bobeyan Valley for many years, though the Crawfords soon moved up the valley to the Old Station. The last Brayshaw to live here full time, was Richard, born in 1865. He sold the property to Noel and Greg Luton in 1952. This building was built in the late 1800’s and had a separate kitchen and living areas from the bedroom wings. Unmarked graves are nearby.
• Graves- NPA Bulletin Vol 50 No 3 Sept 2013, pp 13-15