Last updated 18Feb23
Tuggeranong Stone Wall
The Tuggeranong Stone Wall is situated near the South.Point shopping centre in Greenway.
Location: South-west end of Wall GR 55H FA 86557-79172 (MGA94), Tuggeranong 8727-3S 1:25000
Stile over Wall GR 55H FA 86697-79426 (MGA94), Tuggeranong 8727-3S 1:25000
East end of Wall GR 55H FA 87147-79368 (MGA94), Tuggeranong 8727-3S 1:25000.
• Riotact website June 2022
It’s a structure that might look more at place in the Yorkshire Dales than in Tuggeranong, but more than half a kilometre of hand-built stone wall snakes its way through Greenway.
The ‘Tuggeranong Stone Wall’ marked the northern boundary of Wanniassa, a land grant of 2560 acres taken by New South Wales Sheriff Thomas Macquoid in 1837. Twenty years later, the land was sold to Andrew Cunningham of Lanyon Homestead fame. The wall was built in stages between 1867 and 1875 by Chinese labourers and originally stretched for 1800 metres between the huge Lanyon and Yarralumla properties. Only 790 metres remain today.
The start of the wall can be found along Athllon Drive, with easy parking at the Lakeside Leisure Centre across the road. Look for the signage at the end of the wall. Walk back along Athllon Drive a short way until you come to a Canberra Centenary Trail sign pointing towards the Murrumbidgee River. This path eventually leads up to the wall itself.