Last updated 7Oct23
Tin Dish School site
The Tin Dish School site is located 125m across the Boboyan Rd from Brayshaws Hut/The Settlers Track car park in the Namadgi National Park.
Location: GR 55H FA 79337-27949 (MGA94), Shannons Flat 8626-2S 1:25000
• KHA Namadgi database (private source). Site 276. Today identified by remnant chimney stones and post-holes. The Tin Dish or Bobeyan School operated either from late last century until about 1903 or, more likely, it opened in Nov 1906 and ran for about three to four years. Its commencement followed an …
• Gudgenby: A register of archaeological sites in the proposed Gudgenby National Park, J H Winston-Gregson MA thesis, ANU, 1978. Site BR9. School believed to operate in 1870’s; Mrs Dan Crawford (died 1960 aged 80?) recalled being sent home to the Westerman property near Roseview (about 10km south) to wash her hands. She never returned to school! Source: Noel Luton 15 July 1977. School name corroborated by Mrs I Curtis 29 July 1977. See extracts of the relevant pages in the photos above.
• Sites of Significance in the ACT. A 9 volume set, pre-cursor to the ACT Heritage Register. Published in 1988 (Vols 1-7), 1989 (Vol 8) and 1990 (Vol 9); pp38-43. Site G41. The site is the vestigial remains of a small school that operated in the 1870’s (Winston-Gregson, 1978). It had ceased to operate by the early 1900’s. (G. Scully [Kosciusko Huts Association], pers. comm.) The site is overgrown and marked now only by some squared stone blocks. The site illustrated as aspect of social history of the Gudgenby area. See extracts of the relevant pages in the photos above.
• Waymarking.com: Across the road from Brayshaw’s hut, are the ruins of an old school house. Known locally as the Tin Dish School, and officially as the Bobeyan Subsidised School, it was a small one roomed structure of weatherboards and iron. It was built by local parents from materials from another school. Only squared blocks of grey stone from the fire place remain. it opened for first term of 1907, operated for four terms of 1908 and 1909, then closed at the end of the first term in 1910. William Gottaas was the teacher. Children from the Dwyer, Perry, Weterman and Chalker families attended, as their holdings were along nearby Grassy Creek.