Last updated 4Jul19
Orroral Woolshed precinct
The Orroral Woolshed precinct is located adjacent to the Orroral Homestead in the Orroral Valley in the Namadgi National Park.
Location: GR 55H FA 77431-54278 (MGA94), Rendezvous Creek 8626-1S 1:25000
Visits: 27 May 08
• KHA web site: The stockyard and woolshed were built for a later owner, Andy Cunningham in the 1930s.
• KHA Namadgi database (private source). Site 226. Comprises woolshed, sheepyards and sheep dip in reasonably good condition as the site was operational from c1929-30 to 1983/4. The Woodward-Clyde, CMPS&F and ADI references relate to the sheep dip from which water and sludge were removed in 1996. …. Site 167. Yards as shown on CMA Tidbinbilla [Rendezvous Creek] 1:25 000; associated with use of portion 8 and Orroral Homestead (refer 124).
• Gudgenby: A register of archaeological sites in the proposed Gudgenby National Park, J H Winston-Gregson MA thesis, ANU, 1978. Site OR6 6-10. Corrugated metal on old timber frame; yards are machine sawn timber. See extracts of the relevant pages in the photos above.
• Signage at site: Woolshed. Built around 1930 for Andrew Cunningham formerly of Lanyon, one of the first uses of the woolshed was as a dance hall. A bush dance was held to celebrate its completion. The construction of the woolshed signalled the change from almost purely cattle grazing to mixed sheep and cattle.
• ACT Heritage Listing: includes an excellent schematic diagram and listing of objects in the precinct.