Last updated 12Jun19
Chalkers Hut site
Chalkers Hut is a vestigial site immediately adjacent to Chalkers Chimney near the Long Flat Fire Trail in the Namadgi National Park.
Location: GR 55H FA 84103-26514 (MGA94), Bredbo 8726-3S 1:25000
• KHA web site: Located to the south of Mt Clear at GR840263 on the Bredbo map. A large chimney is all that remains. This holding was originally surveyed in 1889 as a conditional purchase by Edward Brayshaw, the fouth son of William and Flora Brayshaw. Edwards wife Mary, was from the Chalker family, but the site was forfeit in 1892. Henry Barrett acquired the site in 1908, but the history between is unclear. The Chalkers may have owned the site after this.
• KHA Namadgi database (private source). Site 158. The hut was not shown on surveys dated 1889 but was inhabited about 1905. Today the site consists of a large chimney of half-squared granite, the stone floor of another hut and remnant stockyards. Also known as Mount Clear Hut site.
• Gudgenby: A register of archaeological sites in the proposed Gudgenby National Park, J H Winston-Gregson MA thesis, ANU, 1978. Site BR16 2-3. Vestigial, notable for extensive use of stone in wall and in flagged floor. See extracts of the relevant pages in the photos above.