Last updated 12Jun19
Chalkers Chimney is a structure of heavy granite blocks near the Long Flat Fire Trail in the Namadgi National Park.
• KHA web site: A large chimney is all that remains. This holding was originally surveyed in 1889 as a conditional purchase by Edward Brayshaw, the fouth son of William and Flora Brayshaw. Edwards wife Mary, was from the Chalker family, but the site was forfeit in 1892. Henry Barrett acquired the site in 1908, but the history between is unclear. The Chalkers may have owned the site after this.
• KHA Namadgi database (private source). Site 158. The hut was not shown on surveys dated 1889 but was inhabited about 1905. Today the site consists of a large chimney of half-squared granite, the stone floor of another hut and remnant stockyards. Also known as Mount Clear Hut site.
• Gudgenby: A register of archaeological sites in the proposed Gudgenby National Park, J H Winston-Gregson MA thesis, ANU, 1978. Site BR16 1-3. See extracts of the relevant pages in the photos above.
• Steve Brayshaw’s paper: “Edward Brayshaw’s 2. Located at grid reference: 684089 East, 6026490 North. Hut site. Known as Chalker’s now, Edward married Mary Chalker. Edward was the person who cut his foot with an adze and died. He died on the 29 Jul 1911, Second son forth child.”
• Sites of Significance in the ACT. A 9 volume set, pre-cursor to the ACT Heritage Register. Published in 1988 (Vols 1-7), 1989 (Vol 8) and 1990 (Vol 9); pp159-161. Site G47. See extracts of the relevant pages in the photos above.