Last updated 10Jun19
Bog Hut site
The Bog Hut site is on the eastern flanks of the Booth Range in the Namadgi National Park.
Location: GR 55H FA 84498-41734 (MGA94), Colinton 8726-3N 1:25000
• KHA web site: Located in a very remote part of the Booth Range, Namadgi National Park. On the Colinton map at GR844415. Its name stems from the boggy area around, and the general cold and damp of the area during winter. Access is usually made from the Boboyan road, on a compass bearing. This hut was built by Ted and Tom Oldfield about 1928, after they had acquired the lease to Block 6 from the De Salis family. George Gould assisted in its construction, and was later to live there almost all year round, a very lonely existence. He looked after fences and kept the dingoes at bay. When mustering time came around, the Oldfields would join him in the task. The hut collapsed in the late 1980s, but prior to the 2003 fires, the roof was intact and reconstruction could have occured easily. Its fate following the fires is unknown. The hut was built from timber poles with an iron clad gable roof.
• KHA Namadgi database (private source). Site 251. Ruin of corrugated iron hut. This hut was built in the late 1920s and collapsed by the late 1980s. The flat was named ‘Garbage Bin Flat’ by Namadgi staff undertaking pig control work.