Last updated 10Jun19
Bill Ginns Hut site
Bill Ginns Hut is a vestigial site next to the Mt Franklin shelter in Namadgi National Park.
Location: Next to the Mt Franklin survival shelter, which is at GR 55H FA 60117-71084 (MGA94), Tidbinbilla 8627-2S 1:25000
Photographs are available, where you can start a large sized slide show.
• Signage at Bill Ginns Hut site: Built in the late 1930s, this small, slab hut later served as a venue for those who wished to indulge in a quiet chat and some liquid refreshments. In 1957, by which time it had no door, the hut provided accommodation for the overflow from the [Mt Franklin] Chalet during the Balmain Cup skiing competition. Bill Ginn, Canberra carrier and later farmer, transported many skiers to Franklin. He became closely identified with the hut.
• KHA Namadgi database (private source). Site 328. Chimney foundations remain of slab hut with skillion roof built by Bob Reid, cook at the Chalet from 1938. Used by skiiers after WW2 including CAC and Gingera Ski Club member Bill Ginn. Demolished early 1960s.