Last updated 23Mar22
Inglewood Homestead site
The Inglewood Homestead site is located in the western edge of the Mulligans Flat Nature Reserve.
Location: GR 55H FB 98075-5428 (MGA94), Hall 8727-4S 1:25000
Inglewood Homestead site, November 2019
• Description in geocache GC7V27M Inglewood Ingle, cache owner Tankengine. “Here you will find yourself near the ruins of the Inglewood Homestead. There used to be a cache here, but it was archived a few years ago. Given the historical significance of the site, I decided it really did deserve a cache, and have placed a new one here. The Inglewood homestead was built in about 1893 by Joseph Winter and was then occupied until 1925 when it subsequently fell into ruin. The remains include a stone wall, scatters of bricks and stone and a remnant pear and plum tree orchard (Cooke 2010).”
• In A Short History of Gungahlin by Canberra Archaeological Society Inc, by Helen Cooke March 2010, p34:
‘Inglewood’ was built by Joseph Winter in about 1893 on land originally owned by Thomas
McAuliffe. The ruins are about 600m, south west of Dungarvon, crossing an old fence line marked
by a few lonely, eroded wooden posts110.
Following the death of Joseph’s wife Elizabeth in 1906, Joseph left the area and his brothers
William and David occupied the house. Sydney Burton lived there for a short time until the property
passed to Ernest Jones who had married Joseph and Elizabeth’s daughter111.
The house was occupied until 1925 but then fell into ruin. The stone chimney remains, about 3m
high, are almost obscured by apple saplings, scatters of bricks and stone and the remains of an
orchard of pear and plum trees mark the old property. There is also a large peppercorn tree south
of the chimney, some elms and Robinia trees further to the south where there may have been
• From nearby signage.
This property has associations with several notable families of Ginninderra and Canberra. Thomas McAuliffe was the original purchaser of this small holding in 1858. It later became (in 1893) the first home of Joseph and Elizabeth Winter and they named it ‘Inglewood’. This linked the Winter family of “red Hill’ with the McKeahnie family of ‘Well Station’. The Winters had three children here, one of whom died in infancy. Elizabeth died aged 39 in 1906 after a short illness while Joseph was working away from home. Later owners were connected to the families of Read/Reid of Spring Flat and Tallagandra (NSW), Shumack of Canberra, Curran of ‘Deasland’, and Gribble of ‘Tea Gardens’.
The house appears to have been built in stages from 1893. It ultimately had four bedrooms, a living room with fireplace, dining room, porch and full-length verandah facing the road and water reserve. It was mostly lined with weatherboard, and had a galvanised iron roof. The house did not last for very long. Unoccupied from 1931, it was severely damaged by dry rot and white ants, and was later demolished, along with the nearby woolshed.